Last week I told you about the old ladder turned blanket rack that I was going to be working on….I scored the old ladder on Kijiji. I sanded off the ugly brown paint (well, most of it. I tend to lose interest in these steps quickly).
Then I just brushed on some very watered down white paint and wiped it off…
It’s now in the family room looking all fantastic and old.
There’s that new TV that started the whole family room revolt, and Mister built the shelf underneath it for the cable box.
Once we paint the walls gray, the shelf will get painted out as well.
The family room then whispered that it needed ottomans instead of a coffee table. Yes, it did. To me, sort of secretly.
That’s them, and they’re very purty. Here’s how we did it:
Mister built a plywood open top box, which we covered in 1” foam with spray adhesive.
Of course, the fabric I coveted for the ottomans was a rather thin linen, not really at all conducive for upholstery, durability, or endurance…you know, all the fairly essential factors. Problem solved by using a cotton broadcloth underneath it.
Using the measurement of the box height, I cut the fabrics about 10” wider than that, and the length of the 4 sides, with extra. Add some batting, wrap and staple. X about 4000.
For the top, we opted to tuft. Because all the cool cats are tufting these days. Follow along so you can be a tufter too.
Measure the foam top to find the centre point for tuft #1. Then find the centre point of the corner to the centre point for tufts #2-#5. It’s very complex & algebraic. You can do it.
Because I wanted to add some nail head trim, we also attached 1×1 pieces around the edge of the top board. We cut the 4” foam for the top to fit within that. Using a spade bit, drill out about 1” of the foam thickness in each tuft spot, so that the buttons will sink down into the foam a bit easier. Then drill your hole (with a regular bit) the entire way through the foam & the board. Next, lay the batting & fabric(s) evenly across the top, and have your dog sit right beside you. This is a crucial step, clearly.
I used a metal button kit to create fabric covered buttons, the kit without the plastic poker device. Don’t make this mistake. I think the ones I chose may have been defective/ a coordination test/just stupid, because they do NOT work all easy-peasy like the directions make you to believe, and actually lead to quite a lot of frustration and swearing.
I’m only telling you this in case you have children and you follow these directions.
So, once I actually got the damn buttons made, we threaded them with twine and pushed it through the 2 fabric layers, the foam, and the wood. Pull the button from the underside to create your desired tuft depth (very personal).
Knot the twine and staple tightly to the underside. Many times. Then a bit more.
So there’s the top, all tufted and fetching. Once you’ve done all the buttons, just pull and staple the fabric all the way around the top, and wrap your corners tidy.
There’s the nail heads all the way around the top edge, into the 1×1.
We also added castors so that we could move them around easily on the carpet. With our feet. Because we’re a bit lazy.
I so totally love them with the new chairs. Pushed together, they’re just a bit larger than the coffee table was. Having 2 made more sense than 1 large one, because of the way the room is set up.
Of course using ottomans instead of a coffee table necessitated a tray, so I spray painted one that I had, and podged some leftover chair fabric on it. Looks amazing and is also totally wipe-able, because that’s the kind of magic you get with ModPodge.
Here’s a full shot of the room, which you’ll see again once it’s gray. And probably again once we find a damn barn.
Total cost of the project was about $200 for fabric, nail heads, castors, buttons & foam.
We already had the plywood, the tray & the dog.
If you’re planning to re-decorate, re-design, or renovate, contact me to help you create the extraordinary.
Fall in love with your home again.